This unusual door hinge has a shape that could be used pointing up or pointing down, depending if it is used on a left-hand door or a right-hand door. It is a half-mortise hinge which means the flat wing is embedded into the frame of the door and the fancy half is fastened to the door front. This allows the spine and finial to protrude from the edge of the door. The pin on this hinge has a steeple-like top and is long enough to have its “tail” sticking out at the bottom.
The hinge was manufactured by the National Mfg. Company of Rockford, Illinois sometime between 1900 and the 1920s. This was when flashed copper was the rage. The steel hinge was coated with copper and then sprayed (flashed) with a black lacquer. No two pieces are exactly alike. Even though this treatment did not endure very well, this hinge is still in fairly good shape.
The mortised half of the hinge measures 3 inches by 1 1/4 inches. The fancy half measures 3 inches by 2 1/4 inches at its widest point. Screws will be provided.